Apart from the essentials and basic stuff that your older loved one needs, such as personal care items, clothing, bedding, and souvenirs, there are other things that can be helpful for them to make their nursing home life even more comfortable and fun.
This article gathered some must-haves you should try including on your or your loved one’s packing list.
Electronic gadgets are proven to be helpful in so many ways. For nursing home residents, it can help make their lives easier and more fun as they can be used for entertainment or assistance.
Some gadgets that you should consider for your loved ones are;
- An internet-connected device called an Amazon Echo is made to respond to your voice and how you talk naturally. Australian accents and idioms have been programmed into Alexa exclusively for that country! For example, you may ask Alexa to read the news, create reminders, play music, or enquire about the weather. The time and date will also be displayed in legible, large letters and numbers. Even video chat calls are supported.
- Television remote controls are significantly more functional and user-friendly than they once were. Large volume, channel, power, and on/off buttons make it easier for older users to use and manage.
- There are mobiles and senior phones with large one-touch keys, auto-answer, and the capability to prevent unauthorized callers. These phones are available from numerous suppliers.
- Phone applications. There are millions of apps for communication, safety and tracking, music, movies, recipes, health and fitness, games, shopping, and many other things.
You could bring some of their furnishings to the care facility, which is a wonderful idea to decorate your room to make it feel more comfortable.
People with dementia can greatly benefit from it because it will make them feel more at home in their surroundings. Ensure the furniture is fire-resistant to ensure compliance with safety laws.
- Lounge chair
- Chest of drawers
Although nursing homes provide activities that residents can enjoy, it would be helpful to pack some things they can use for entertainment or enjoy during their free time alone or with others.
Some of the things that they can pack are:
- Hobby Items
- Craft or art materials. Items for knitting, crocheting, or painting may be among them, along with colored pencils and adult coloring books.
- Crossword puzzles, word-find puzzles, and jigsaw puzzles. During the icier winter months, these are frequently used.
- Board games and card decks. These are ideal for playing with family members and passing the time.
- Supply of stationery. These are crucial for those who enjoy writing letters, even sporadically. Pens, pencils, notecards, an address book, return address labels, and stamps are possible supplies.
- Electronic entertainment
- TVs, computers, and tablets.
- Cable or streaming app subscriptions.
- Wireless headphones for seniors who love listening to music.
- A radio or MP3 player.
- E-readers such as a Kindle for seniors who love to read.
Packing some personalized items is not just a sweet gesture for your older loved ones but can also be helpful for them in identifying the things they own and preventing them from getting lost, especially since they would be living with other people.
Some personalized items that you can include in their baggage are:
- Mugs and utensils.
- A scarf or outerwear.
- Fuzzy slippers
Shippable boxes or gift baskets called “care packages” are filled with various gifts to express your gratitude, such as handwritten messages, gift cards, healthy snacks, toys, and games.
Sending your loved ones away with a care package can help ease the sadness that may come from the process.
Also, it’s something that you can always do to remind your older loved one that you remember or care for them.
Some items that you may include on a care package are;
- Activities and hobby items
- Comfort items like blankets, cardigans, or teddy bears.
- Their favorite snacks and treats
- Sentimental items like photocards
- Gift cards and letters
Moving elderly family members into nursing homes may be a highly traumatic process. They will almost always need to drastically reduce the amount of stuff they own, which may be difficult and stressful for everyone concerned.
Apart from helping them pack the necessities they need for their nursing home stay, it’s also important to consider other things that can make them feel at home and comfortable.