Many people aspire to look young and vibrant, and plenty of products and treatments on the market promise to help you achieve a youthful appearance. But with so many options, figuring out where to start can take time. That’s why we’ve gathered some simple yet useful tips from beauty experts to help you keep looking younger even as you age.
Beauty Expert-Recommendations For Looking Younger
As we age, our skin can lose its elasticity and radiance, making us look older than we feel. Fortunately, there are plenty of beauty expert-recommended tips and tricks for looking younger and enhancing our natural beauty.
Below are some of the top recommendations from beauty experts for achieving a more youthful appearance.
Wear sunscreen every day
One of the most important things you can do to keep your skin looking young is to wear sunscreen daily.
“Sun exposure is one of the biggest contributors to premature aging,”
“Not only does it cause wrinkles and fine lines, but it can also lead to discoloration and uneven skin texture.”Shani Darden, Celebrity Esthetician
Find a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30, and be sure to reapply after every two hours if you’re spending time outside.
Retinol is a type of vitamin A proven to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
“It works by increasing cell turnover and stimulating collagen production,”
“I recommend using a retinol product at night, as it can increase sensitivity to sunlight.”Dr. Shereene Idriss, Dermatologist
Start with a low concentration and work up as your skin becomes accustomed to the product.
Keep your skin hydrated
Keeping your skin hydrated is essential for maintaining a youthful appearance.
“When your skin is dehydrated, it can look dull and lackluster,”
“I like to use a hydrating serum before applying moisturizer to give my skin an extra boost.”Fiona Stiles, Makeup Artist
Look for products that contain hyaluronic acid, which can hold up to 1000 times its weight in water.
Get regular facials
Facials can be a great way to keep your skin looking young and healthy.
“Regular facials can help exfoliate dead skin cells, increase circulation, and stimulate collagen production,”
“I recommend getting a facial once a month if possible.”Joanna Czech, Esthetician
If you can’t get to a spa, try doing a facial at home using a gentle exfoliator and a hydrating mask.
Don’t forget about your eyes
The skin around our eyes is very delicate and prone to wrinkles, so giving it some extra attention is important.
“I like to use an eye cream with peptides to help reduce fine lines and puffiness,”
“Don’t forget to wear sunglasses to protect the area from UV damage.”Pati Dubroff, Makeup Artist
There are numerous ways to maintain a youthful appearance and boost your confidence as you age. By taking care of yourself and embracing your natural beauty, you can age gracefully and confidently. So go ahead and experiment with different beauty tips and find what works best for you – after all, there’s no one-size-fits-all approach to looking younger!
Must-Haves To Keep Looking Younger
Here’s a list of expert-recommended products for older adults to stay looking younger:
A broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 protects your skin from harmful UV rays that can cause wrinkles, fine lines, and discoloration. Look for a non-greasy, lightweight product like the La Roche-Posay Anthelios Ultra-Light Sunscreen Fluid.
Retinol is a formulation of vitamin A that’s applied topically to the skin to reduce the effects of aging and acne. helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Dermatologists recommend starting with a low concentration and working your way up, like the Olay Regenerist Retinol 24-Night Moisturizer.
Hyaluronic acid is a hydrating ingredient that can hold up to 1000 times its weight in water, making it an ideal choice for keeping your skin plump and youthful-looking. Look for a serum or moisturizer that contains hyaluronic acid, like the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hydrating Serum.
Vitamin C is an antioxidant that can help brighten your skin and reduce the appearance of dark spots and discoloration. Look for a product with a high vitamin C concentration, like the Skinceuticals C E Ferulic Serum.
The skin around your eyes is delicate and prone to wrinkles, so using a product specifically designed for this area is important. Look for an eye cream that has peptides, like the RoC Retinol Correxion Eye Cream.
Remember, everyone’s skin is different, so what works for one person may not work for another. It’s always a great idea to consult a dermatologist or other skincare expert to find products best suited for your unique skin type and concerns.
Skin Care For Older Adults
Our skin undergoes a number of changes that can impact its appearance and health but with proper skin care and attention, older adults can keep their skin looking healthy and radiant.
The Importance of Skin Care Routine For Older Adults
Maintaining a skincare routine is essential for older adults as it helps to keep the skin healthy, hydrated, and youthful-looking. According to the AAD, as we age, our skin undergoes various changes, such as thinning, becoming drier, and losing elasticity, which can lead to wrinkles and sagging.
A consistent skincare routine can help to address these changes and prevent further damage to the skin.
Apart from a regular skin care routine, the AAD further recommends that it’s essential to consult with a dermatologist for personalized recommendations and treatment options that can help to maintain the skin’s health and prevent age-related skin conditions.
Here is a basic skincare routine for older adults that the American Academy of Dermatology recommends:
- Cleanse: Use a mild and gentle cleanser to remove dirt and oil from your skin.
- Moisturize: Apply a moisturizer to hydrate and protect your skin but avoid using a thicker moisturizer.
- Eye cream: Use eye cream as a part of your morning and night time routine to help reduce visible signs of aging around your eyes.
- Sunscreen: Always apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30 to prevent your skin from being sun damaged.
- Cleanse: Use a gentle cleanser to remove makeup, dirt, and oil from your skin.
- Retinoid: Apply a retinol product to improve skin texture, reduce fine lines, and even out skin tone.
- Moisturize: Apply a moisturizer to hydrate and protect your skin.
Taking care of your skin does not stop on your face but extends to how you care for your whole body, so here are some bathing tips you should keep in mind.
- To take care of your skin while washing, use a gentle, moisturizing soap or body wash without fragrance, as it can help soothe and not dry out your skin.
- Also, use warm water, as hot water can strip your skin of natural oils that lead to dryness.
- Use a soft cloth instead of a harsh one to wash your skin.
- Shorten your bath or shower time, preferably 5-10 minutes, and pat your skin gently with a towel after bathing, leaving some water on your skin before applying moisturizer.
- Moisturize with a creamy, fragrance-free moisturizer suitable for dry skin within three minutes of bathing and repeatedly throughout the day.
- Dermatologists recommend using an ointment instead of cream when skin feels extremely dry because ointments hold water better than creams.
Proper skincare is an essential part of maintaining healthy and radiant skin as we age. By adopting a consistent routine that includes gentle cleansing, moisturizing, and protection from the sun, older adults can keep their skin looking and feeling its best. With the help of dermatologists, skincare experts, and a little self-care, older adults can enjoy healthy and youthful-looking skin for years to come.
Anti-Aging Skin Care Tips
To improve your skin care routine, the Loreal Paris recommends incorporating the following anti-aging skin care tips on your routine to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and boost collagen and hydration.
- Use a Gentle Cleanser: As we age, our skin becomes thinner and more delicate, so it’s important to use a gentle cleanser that won’t strip away natural oils or irritate the skin. Loreal Paris recommends using a cream cleanser.
- Apply a Facial Serum: After cleansing your skin, your next step is to apply face serum to directly treat any skin care concerns that you may have.
- Incorporate Retinol: Retinol is a powerful ingredient that can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles over time. Start by using a low concentration and gradually increase as your skin tolerates it.
- Exfoliate Weekly: Exfoliating your skin can provide various benefits, such as getting rid of dead skin cells and brightening the skin, which makes it an essential aspect of an anti-aging skincare regimen.
- Add Antioxidants: Antioxidants can help protect the skin from free radical damage and improve overall skin health. Look for products that contain vitamins C and E, or incorporate antioxidant-rich foods into your diet.
- Moisturize: Moisturizing is key to maintaining hydrated and plump skin. Look for a moisturizer that contains hyaluronic acid or glycerin to help retain moisture.
- Use Facial Oil: Facial oil can be used to provide extra nourishment and help retain moisture. It is recommended to use a lightweight, non-greasy facial oil that absorbs quickly. Apply it over your moisturizer to provide extra nourishment to mature skin.
- Sun Protection: Protecting your skin from the sun is crucial for anti-aging. Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30 daily, and reapply every two hours if you’re spending time outside.
- Consider Eye Cream: The delicate skin around the eyes is particularly prone to fine lines and wrinkles. Incorporate an eye cream that contains caffeine or niacinamide to help reduce puffiness and dark circles.
- Use A Wrinkle Cream at Night: Apply a wrinkle-fighting night cream before you sleep. Anti-wrinkle face creams can help reduce the appearance of signs of aging, such as sagging skin, dryness, and wrinkles.
- Opt for a Silk Pillowcase: The choice of bedding can also affect your anti-aging routine, and using a silk pillowcase can benefit your skin. Silk is a softer material than cotton or polyester and is gentler on the skin, which can prevent tugging or rubbing that can worsen the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. According to The Aesthetic Surgery Journal, using a silk pillowcase can be beneficial for maintaining the health and appearance of your skin.
Treatment Options for Aging Skin
If you are looking for skin treatments in addition to your skin care routine, WebMD stated that using treatments that contain
- vitamin C,
- and alpha hydroxy acids may be sufficient.
For moderate to severe facial sun damage,
- chemical peels,
- ultrasound energy devices,
- or laser resurfacing can be options.
Deeper facial lines may be treated with botulinum toxin or fillers, such as
- hyaluronic acid injections
- fat transfers,
- and Gore-Tex implants.
In some cases, individuals may opt for surgery, such as a
- brow lift,
- or cosmetic surgery on the eyelids.
However, the decision to undergo any of these treatments and the extent of treatment is a personal choice. If considering any of these options, scheduling a consultation with a surgeon is recommended to discuss goals, options, costs, risks, and benefits.
In conclusion, there are plenty of ways to keep your skin looking young and vibrant, from wearing sunscreen daily to getting regular facials. By incorporating these expert-recommended tips into your beauty routine, you can help turn back the clock and maintain a youthful appearance for years.